DUBAI, United Arab Emirates – Twelve outstanding Filipinos who are living and working in the United Arab Emirates were recognized for making exemplary mark in their chosen careers.
The recognition was given by The Filipino Times, a newspaper in the UAE.
The 12 outstanding Pinoys who received the first-ever ‘The Filipino Times (TFT) awards are the following:
- Hamilton Villapando, Educator of the Year
- Victorino Abejero, Engineer of the Year
- Tom Alvarado, Entertainer of the Year
- Jennette Al Alami, Entrepreneur of the Year
- Michael Cinco and Furne One, Fashion Designer of the Year
- Kamil Roxas, Filmmaker of the Year
- Jose Villanueva, M.D., Healthcare Professional of the Year
- Vagelyn Federico, Hotel Professional of the Year
- Atty. Michael Barney Almazar, Legal Professional of the Year
- Mario Cardenas, Photographer of the Year
- John Panuelos, Sports Person of the Year
- Rachel Salinel, Journalist of the Year
Salinel is a senior correspondent for ABS-CBN’s The Filipino Channel (TFC) since 2003, and a news presenter for Arabian Radio Network. She has previously practiced her craft in other Asian countries like Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia, Micronesia, and the Philippines with Japanese television network Nippon TV Inc.
Cinco, a well-renowned Dubai-based Filipino fashion designer, also bagged the TFT Rizal Award.
Also the highlight of the night was the awarding of the Lifetime Achievement Award to the first female Philippine Ambassador to the UAE, Grace Relucio Princesa.
Princesa, who has been serving Filipinos around the world for 36 years, will bid farewell to her post and return to the Philippines on October 24.