Studies say green tea (Camellia sinensis) is the healthiest drink on the planet. Green tea is fully loaded with antioxidants and nutrients that our body needs, hence Green Tea – the Super Power drink is a more appropriate title.
I drink green tea not because I liked it but because I need to be conscious of my weight. Recently, I became curious on its benefits and got surprised with tons of good things about this beverage.
Aside from the weight loss/fat burning benefits, here are 6 other great benefits that will encourage you to take it daily:
- Lowers Type II Diabetes Risk – In one study conducted in Japan, they performed some trials that showed green tea can cause mild reductions in blood sugar levels which may also lower down the risk of Type II diabetes later on.
- Kills Dental Bacteria and Viruses – Green tea contains anti-oxidant ingredients, mainly Green Tea Catechin (GTC, are four molecules, high amounts are present in green tea, proven to be fat burning). This Catechins have other biological benefits as well, like killing bacteria and inhibit viruses such as influenza. Studies show that catechins in green tea stops the growth of streptococcus mutans (harmful bacteria in the mouth that causes plaque and tooth decay) since it lowers the risk of harmful mouth bacteria, it also prevents bad breath!
- Green Tea Anti-Oxidants May Lower Cancer Risk – Cancer is one of the leading causes of death in the world. It has no early signs and symptoms and can spread in other parts of the body if not detected or prevented sooner. Environmental factors are the major causes of some 90-95% cancer cases and the remaining 5-10% are due to inherited genetics. These environmental factors can be: Lifestyle, economic and behavioral factors, not just pollution. So as the saying goes, “Prevention is better than Cure” Health, should come as a first priority. Green tea is an excellent source of anti-oxidants perfect to fight cancer risks.
- Colorectal Cancer– In an Epidemiologic studies conducted between green tea and colorectal cancer, it was prospectively evaluated in a cohort of 69,710 Chinese women aged 40 to 70 years suggests that regular consumption of green tea may reduce CRC risk in women. (ncbi)
- Breast Cancer – Experimental studies have shown that tea and tea polyphenols have anti-carcinogenic properties against breast cancer. The results of this meta-analysis indicate a lower risk for breast cancer with green tea consumption (ncbi)
- Prostate Cancer – A prospective study in Japan showed that green tea may be associated with a decreased risk of advanced prostate cancer (oxford)
- Green Tea Improves Brain Functions – Green tea contains less caffeine than coffee, but enough to produce an effect. It also contains the amino acid L-theanine, which can work synergistically with caffeine to improve brain function. (authority nutrition)
- Better Eyesight – Green tea extracts were found to actually reduce the progression of Eye Lens Cataract in a study published by Experimental Eye Research in 2001.
- Green Tea Good for your Heart – Tea consumption is associated with decreased cardiovascular risk. However, green tea consumption has an acute beneficial effect on endothelial function, assessed with FMD of the brachial artery, in healthy individuals. This may be involved in the beneficial effect of tea on cardiovascular risk. (Preventive Cardiology) (ncbi)
The next time you take your cup of green tea, think about these benefits and for those who are planning to start drinking, now is the best time. Choose the best quality green tea for better benefits.